CHEF AJ’S DISAPPEARING LASAGNA
People always ask me how well this freezes. I honestly don’t know as there have never been any leftovers!
Recipe Courtesy Of Chef AJ
Vist Her Site At Eat Unprocessed
- 2 boxes of no boil rice lasagna noodles (De Boles)
- 6 cups of your favorite no oil marinara sauce
- 1 – box of extra firm water packed tofu (19 ounces each, I use Trader Joes) OR
- 2 cans (15 ounce each) Cannelini Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ounces of fresh basil leaves
- 1 cups of pine nuts, raw cashews or hemp seeds
- 2 cloves of garlic (or more, to taste)
- 1/4 cup of low sodium miso
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1 4 ounce cans of sliced olives, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 2 pounds of frozen, chopped spinach (defrosted, drained with all of the liquid squeezed out) OR 1 pound frozen kale (defrosted, drained with all of the liquid squeezed out)
- 2 pounds of sliced mushrooms (I like to use Cremini or baby bellas
- 1/4 cup low sodium tamari
- one large red onions, finely diced
Make the filling in a food processor fitted with the “S” blade, by adding one box of tofu, 2 ounces of basil 2 cloves garlic, 1/4 cup each lemon juice, miso and nutritional yeast. 1 cup of the pine nuts and 1/8 of a teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Puree until smooth. Add drained spinach or kale and process again.
In a large non-stick sauté pan, sauté the onion in 2 Tablespoons water until translucent, about 8 minutes, adding more water if necessary. Add garlic, mushrooms and tamari and sauté until browned. Taste mixture, adding chopped garlic and more tamari according to your taste. Cook until mushrooms appear to be glazed and there is no more liquid left in the pan.
Pour 3 cups of the sauce in a lasagna pan or 9” by 13” pan. Place one layer of the no cook noodles on top. Cover the noodles with half of the tofu/spinach mixture, then with half of the mushroom mixture. Place another layer of noodles on the mushroom mixture and add the remaining half of the tofu/spinach mixture and the remaining half of the mushroom mixture. Place one more layer of noodles on top of the mushroom mixture and smother evenly with the remaining 6 cups of sauce. Sprinkle the sliced olives on top of the sauce along with a liberal sprinkling of faux parmesan
Bake uncovered in a preheated 375 degree oven for an hour.
Let set 10 minutes before slicing.
Chef’s Note: If you have time, marinate the sliced mushrooms in the Tamari several hours in advance or even the night before. Make sure the top layer of noodles are fully covered with sauce.